Dental Implants and Their Benefits
If you have never heard of dental implants before, you likely are wondering exactly what they are. The implant is a post that is designed out of titanium, that is meant to serve as something like a tooth root. It is placed under the gum line, into the jawbone through a surgical procedure by a dentist. It is done so that he or she can mount a bridge or some replacement teeth at that particular spot. Implants are different than dentures, in that they do not come loose at all. They are quite beneficial, since they are not anchored to your other teeth, like bridges have to be anchored.Though it can be a difficult decision to make, you owe it to yourself to consider the possibility for your health and to gain confidence.
Reasons to Have Dental Implants
People get dental implants for a variety of reasons. It can either be for functional or cosmetic purposes, and they work quite well for both. Dental implants are a treatment that is sure to be a big improvement to your dental health in the long run. They solve many issues and make it easier to chew and talk. Additionally, you will have a brighter smile when you have implants placed in your mouth. Who wouldn’t want to enjoy these benefits?
One of the most amazing things about dental implants is that they are designed to last for a long time. In fact, with the proper placement and care, they can last you for an entire lifetime. If you were to receive a dental bridge or dentures, it is quite likely they would need to be replaced after just 5 to 10 years. This means you will have to spend even more money and go through the aggravation of being fitted with a bridge or dentures all over again.
Once you get implants, you can gain more confidence. Unlike dentures or replacement teeth that are tooth-supported, they do not click or slip when you are laughing, talking, or eating. Dentures that can be removed present an issue when it comes to pronouncing common words. You will feel like smiling more often and speak with greater ease with this type of dental procedure.
Who Should Get Implants
In order to determine if you will be a good candidate for dental implants, you will need to be given an initial consultation. During this appointment, the dentist will do a thorough examination of your mouth. This can include having 3D images or X-rays taken. When it is decided you would benefit from this procedure, he or she will discuss the options that are available to you, including the steps necessary for the implant surgery. Patients who have lost a tooth to injury, poor health, due to old age, and had teeth extracted are all possible candidates for this surgery. If you believe that this could be you, reach out to your dentist or a reputable dental professional today.
Dental Implant Types
- There are two different types of dental implants. Each of these types is unique, in that they require different levels of invasive procedures.
- Endosteal implants are those that are placed within the jawbone. They often are in the shape of small screws and are comprised of titanium. Endosteal are the most common of implants. It requires that the dentist perform a bone augmentation surgery first.
- Subperiosteal implants are put above the jawbone, though they do go under the gum. It is an ideal option for a patient who does not have a jawbone that is healthy and natural. If the individual would not like to have a bone augmentation procedure done, this is the way he or she must go.
There also are alternatives to the conventional implant types. They are as follows:
- Mini dental implants, also known as MDIs, are narrower than the average dental implants. They most often are used in the instance of stabilizing a lower denture. MDIs are put in using techniques that are less invasive, which likely will mean you will have a quicker recovery time.
- Immediate load dental implants allow for immediate placement of a temporary tooth at the time of the appointment in which the dentist put in the implant. This is a good idea if you have adequate natural bone, as well as a secure implant that can withstand pressure on the temporary tooth. You can experience all of the benefits of a natural-looking tooth right away.
- All-on-4® consists of four implants that are placed into the available bone, making it unnecessary to conduct any bone grafting. Temporary replacement teeth may be placed in the patient’s implant on the same day. You have to follow a modified diet during the time that the gum tissues need to heal. Permanent replacement teeth are put in once six months has passed. At that point, the patient can go back to a regular diet.
Additional Benefits to Dental Implants:
- Easy to Use
You can treat your dental implants as though they are real teeth. This means you can brush and floss the implants. Also, you can chew food, candy and gum just as you normally would. However, there is an initial period after getting your implants when you will have to consume softer foods to allow your gums to heal.
Take Action Today
The decision to have implants placed may be a simple one for you. If you have done your research and know that this is something you want and need, it is important that you contact a local dental implant dentist right away. It could be the best decision of your life. Send a message through their website to inquire, or call and set up a consultation today to begin this life-changing process.